Thursday, August 6, 2009

RIP John Hughes :-(

I am 42 years old. That means that I came of age in the 80's. Movies such as Pretty In Pink, The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Some Kind of Wonderful and of course the classic Ferris Bueller's Day Off all played a big role in my life. I literally grew up with the folks like Molly Ringwald, Emilio Estevez, Judd Nelson and the rest of the Hughes regulars. Each and every one of those movies and many more from the catalogue of his work had characters that I could relate to in so many ways. As I got older and grew up- so did Hughes work:

Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club and Weird Science came out when I was in high school.

Pretty in Pink and Ferris- the year after (the year I got married).

Some Kind of Wonderful and Planes, Trains and Automobiles the year I had my son and

She's Having a Baby, The Great Outdoors and Uncle Buck soon after.

My son also grew up on Mr. Hughes work- including movies like Curly Sue, Dutch, The Home Alone series and all of the Beethoven movies until he too was old enough to watch and understand the ones that I loved.

I have spent countless hours "with" Mr. Hughes- so many that I can recite the dialogue verbatim from many of his films. I looked forward to each and every new work and I loved that filmmakers like Kevin Smith paid homage to him in their films. It helped endear them to us as we watched this next generation.

John Hughes passed away today at the age of 59 from a heart attack. He will be sorely missed by fans the world over. I thank him for his work and the affect it had on my life. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

No comments: