Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Taking things for granted

G.K. Chesterton said:  “When it comes to life the critical thing is whether you take things for granted or take them with gratitude.”  I am so happy to have found this quote today.  I need this quote today. 

There are so many things that I take for granted.  All of the not so little things:  a roof over my head, food in the fridge, a warm bed at night, my puppies, my hubby; so many things that are here and I have at my disposal every day that I love with all of my heart but I know I don't give enough thanks for.  I don't know how to change that. 

When I take time to stop and count my blessings- those things are there, every single time.  On the other side of that coin, they are also there when I am complaining.  You know the complaints: "There's nothing to eat", "You are stealing all the covers", "It's SO cold out and the dogs are dawdling."  Stupid, petty complaints that are just food for being irritated and perpetuating a cranky mood.  The more I feed into that- the farther away from an attitude of gratitude that I get. 

I need to readjust my attitude on a permanent basis.  I need to find a way to stop the crankies in their tracks- especially at this time of year.  I need to find a way to stop myself from getting caught up in the moment and letting myself take all that I love for granted.  I need to take a deep breath and and instead of counting to ten, count ten things that matter to me.  That is a step.  A first step.  The first of many. 

No comments: