Friday, January 15, 2010

Retail hell

This morning I am just thankful that this week is almost over.  If you know retail- imagine Black Friday and the day after Christmas all rolled into one- and then make it last a week.  It's hard.  It's very hard.  Long lines, customers who are cranky because they have to pay so much for the tools for their education, customers who are cranky because they don't like return policies that don't favor them or because they placed an order on our website and it's not ready an hour later.  We put up with a lot of rudeness and abuse this week- and it gets to the point that I am just burned out. 

It is as if they forget that we are people just like them.  They don't know that we have worked our butts off to get their product on the shelves.  They don't know that two of us have put in over a hundred extra hours in the last four weeks to make sure that everything was ready for the first day of school.  I think they think things just magically happen.  The sense of entitlement is getting to me as well- one example:  I jumped through hoops for someone this week to make something happen for them and not only was it taken as if it were due- but two days later when they changed their mind about what they wanted- they were insufferably rude.  It happens often and it can make you never want to extend yourself for anyone again.  I hate feeling like that. 

42 weeks a year, I enjoy my job.  The other 10- make me rethink those 42.  :-/  It leaves me wondering if it is worth it.  It shakes my faith in people.  It makes me lose sleep and snap at my husband, raises my blood pressure and makes my whole body ache.  So Thank Goodness it's Friday.  I am so grateful that it is almost over for this round.  Next will be time to catch up and get ready for the next part of the cycle.

Edited to add:  I also want to note that though we all know I am CRAZY about my dogs- these past few weeks have made me appreciate them and my honey even more.  I got home last night to find Jim had fed and walked the dogs before I got home (we usually walk them together) because he knew I would be tired and had dinner started for me.  I also had both of the pups do their "Mommy's home" thing.  After a rough day there is nothing, nothing better than the pure, unconditional love of a dog.  They don't care that you are cranky, tired, or whatever- they just give you their love without expectation of anything more than love back.  Within 5 minutes of getting home, with Auggie on my lap and Harley at my knee- my day might never have happened because I was just enjoying them. 

No comments: