Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Forty-two Ways in Forty Two Days- Work

This is a good time for this post for me. I have been struggling at work. Not because I can't do the job but because I just don't know how to let go. Part of my job is to train the people under me to DO my job. My job is all about details and the attention to the right details is just not there with the people I am training. Many, many hours are spent worrying about something that is small and can be quickly fixed and not enough time is spent looking at the big picture and the steps involved to get from point A to point B. I can't put my finger on it, but in addition to trying to unteach bad habits, I am ultimately responsible for the entire semester and I have to make sure that it is complete and correct. And so I struggle. Do I take on more than I should or do I stress and sweat over what may be missed and try to scramble at the last minute to fix it?

There is so much talk on the news, in the papers, in everyday conversation about so very many people losing their jobs and my company is in a very sound position. Though we are trimming payroll on the part time side and trimming expenses they are not getting rid of any of the full time people and they are not cutting any benefits. We are so very fortunate to work for this company and that is one of the big reasons that I so want to do a great job for them. I want to show them my gratitude for taking care of me in this difficult economy and to set an example for the staff as to what can be done even without the extra part time help when we buckle down and follow the steps. I am so grateful to have my job and that Jim has his and we are hanging in there. I am trying so hard to keep that in the front of my mind when I become frustrated and typing this post will solidify my resolve and I can be thankful for that as well.

No comments: