Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Forty-two Ways in Forty Two Days- Books

Since I was a little girl, my parents have instilled a love of reading in me. When we were little, mom always had books around and for many years, Dad was going to school so those books were around as well. He was also a HUGE Stephen King fan-and still has every hardcover. Both of them read to us until we were old enough to read to them and then for ourselves. Three very vivid memories of my childhood are about books. First was back in school when we had those SRA reading programs (yes, I am dating myself) where we would select a book and then read it and do a little quiz and move on to the next book and work through the series. The second was when my parents gave me the Hardy boys and Nancy Drew series and the third was the first time I read the complete works of Edgar Allen Poe.

A good book or story can draw you in and take you places you have never been. It can pique your curiosity about things you have never seen or known- and if you are like me that can lead to researching all sorts of topics so you can continually learn about the world around you. At one time I dreamed that I would be a writer, but I realized a long time ago that I have neither the talent or the discipline to do so. I am okay with that- but that dream evolved in another direction. Now- the dream is to proofread and edit professionally. I can imagine nothing better than being paid to read and to make a story better.

In the meantime- I work surrounded by books. I have at my fingertips on any given day over a thousand titles. Walking the shelves, flipping through the pages, seeing all the interesting and exciting things that are out there to see and do, it is worth all of the work involved just having access to all of that.

I am so thankful for the ability to read. I cannot imagine what is it like to not be able see the words on the page and know what they mean. I can't imagine not being able to pick up a book and open the pages and forget about all of my worries for just a few hours.

I am also very grateful that my parents enjoyed reading so much that they passed that love on to me and that I was able to share that with Josh.

No comments: