Sunday, July 5, 2009

Forty-two brings new goals and new challenges.

SO. Today is my forty-second birthday. I have to say that after reflecting on this in the days leading up to today-this is probably "mid-life" for me. The reason I am thinking this way is because there are many, many days that I feel "42"- but there are also quite a few days where I feel like I am "84". Pretty much anyone with a chronic illness like RA will be able to relate to that on some level. But one thing I DON'T feel any longer- is younger than my age. The funny thing is- I am okay with that. I have thought about this long and hard most of the day and I am perfectly okay with where I am in my life right now.

Being born in 1967, I am in some really good company (Faith Hill, Tim McGraw, Meg Cabot,Dara Torres, Dave Matthews, Andre Rison, Deion Sanders et al.) and some more...dubious company (take your guesses from the list of folks born in my year http://www.nndb.com/lists/966/000105651/ ). I have a grown son, I have been married to my high school sweetheart since 1986. That's a lot of years. I am proud of those years and I wouldn't wish them away for anything.

Now- as this is a "new year" perhaps the REAL New Year of a person's life, I have come up with some goals and challenges for myself.

First- my GOALS for this year:

1- It is my goal to blog "42 Ways in 42 Days". For the next 6 weeks, beginning tomorrow, I am going to blog a specific thing that I am grateful for- not just what it is but WHY I am grateful for it. I have thought through and started my list, but there are plenty of spots open to add as I go along. If I have something else on my mind I can either do a second post here or I can put it at my less used blog on this server called "Just a place to Ramble".

2- My next goal is to do something strictly for someone else at least once a week. Not a favor- just a service. This is something that I will have to annotate elsewhere, because I don't want to feel like I am doing it to brag about it- but I do want to talk about the results and how I feel after.

Now for the CHALLENGES:

1- Two years ago when I moved out here- I was 25lbs less than I am right now. At that time I was happy with my progress but only half way to where I wanted to be. Now- I just want to get back there as a start. My challenge is finding the energy to move more and limiting my portions on a regular basis. I know what needs to be done- I just need to do it!

2- Until such time as we have the extra disposable income, I NEED to teach myself and start practicing yoga. I have two DVD's and a set of cards with basic yoga positions on them. I need to add them to my life because everything I read tells me that yoga will bring a lot of value to my life both mentally and physically.

There is more- but I need to focus- and here is where we are going for the time being. Let's hope that 42 is a great year!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Happy Birthday,
Some people tell me "oh I did natural it did not work for me" and I say "oh did you?" I did natural it kicked my ass, I felt like I took on a very intense second job because I was doing something natural every waking hour. Some of the things I did were the most rigorous things I have ever done and it cured my cancer. Now if you feel that was the natural that you did do not bother reading any further otherwise paul@theherbprof.com Lupus is an autoimmune disease; these diseases are interesting and scary there are approximately 80 to 100 with another 40 waiting for a name. Medical science cannot explain why and has not found a cure for even one. You can trigger one of them just by having an auto accident, taking aspirin, medication or by starting a new exercise routine, even too much stress says latest research. Have you changed anything in your life, "Look for the root, it is in the basics beginning with what is on your fork, what toxins are in your body, what exercise do you do, what stress is in your life, what is your spiritual base". Scientific arrogance has led us down the wrong path we better stop and take a close look at what is happening. This month 144 new chemicals which are part of the Lupus problem will be added too industry with no oversight control at all. Autoimmune disease is the worst kind of contradiction; for a Lupus sufferer you are attacking your own body with your immune system, a world upside down. God bless you in your search.

Sincerely
Paul