Monday, June 8, 2009

A walk on the wild side?

Harley and I went out for our walk at 4:45am- but our walk was a little unusual this morning. First, we saw the most beautiful moon as we walked out the door. It was completely full and almost a light orange in color. I actually stood there mesemerized for a couple of minutes and I found myself looking back at it as we walked along.

It was also an interesting morning because as we approached the country club Harley spotted a deer. All 17 lbs of her let out a little "boof" and the deer started to take off and so we kept walking. As we came even with the driveway (we were on the other side of the street) the deer was standing there watching us and Harley stopped and just stared at it for a few beats before she started "boofing" again and soon the deer took off. I don't know what they though of one another- but I would love to know what was going on in both of their minds. The only light was a pale brightness from the moon so I couldn't tell if it was a doe or a very young buck- but whatever it was, it was very graceful and it apparently decided that Miss Harley was a bigger threat than her size.

Walking her in the morning (and evening) we could be walking anywhere. We see some traffic and rabbits on both walks, squirrels, people and cats in the evening. It is the clarity of the sky in the morning and seeing that deer serves as a gentle reminder that we are in a somewhat rural area. It definately makes me smile and starts the day in a good way. It pushes all of the exhaustion and the aches and pains out of the mind and allows me to just be very in the moment. For that, I am eternally grateful.

No comments: