Sunday, September 14, 2008

Dogs in general, mine in particular


I love my dog. I admit it, I am head over heels for her.


Harley is one of the best things in my life. She is always there just waiting for me to come home. She is very low key and mellow, but when I wake up in the morning and come down the stairs, or when I come home after a long day at work, there she is; tail wagging, bringing me toys or treats or whatever is handy to greet me. Her sheer joy is infectious and lifts whatever exhaustion or stress that I have off my shoulders and bringing a smile to my face. When I join her and drop everything to get down on the floor for some loves, she knows that I am there for HER and her alone. She has a personality that just won't quit and I just can't help but smile just thinking of her.


Another side benefit- walking. Only for her would I drag my butt out of bed every morning at 5 and hit the pavement. Most days it is only for 20 minutes (with another 20 just before bed) but on weekends at home we sometimes double up. Now- it is not super strenuous but it is more movement than I would get left to my own devices-lol. We walk, I talk and before I know it I have gotten some exercise.


She also forces me to stop and enjoy the little things. She is a dog and dogs stop and sniff. While she is doing that I actually look around. No more of the "keep your head down and keep moving" thing. I am so much more aware of my surroundings when she is by my side.


Let's hear it for our dogs!




































No comments: