Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Sometimes you need a swift kick in the A$$.

Every once in a while, usually just about the time that I am feeling sorry for myself, I get a nice swift kick in the pants to remind me that no matter how bad, how cranky, how whatever I am feeling- I have it pretty darned good. This time, my "reality check" came when I was not in a "mood" but actually just coasting through the weekend.

I won't bore you with the details but I will say that someone that I know is currently in the ICU in Louisville after having undergone emergency surgery on her stomach this weekend. It was not pretty; her pain was excruciating and I am very thankful that she made it through the surgery and has a good chance of recovery.

As I was saying a prayer last night for my friend, I couldn't help but give thanks for my health and that of my loved ones. In doing so I realized how very grateful I should be. No matter how sore or tired I am- I can get up, I am able to go to work; I am actively involved in my life; I am able to do so much more than I should be able to do. I just can't bring myself to complain about my aches and pains. Do I hurt? Yes. Am I exhausted? Pretty much all of the time. That said- I know that I can come home tonight after an 11 hour day at work, my honey and I can take my puppies out for their walk and then I can go straight to bed if I so choose. I can repeat that process the next two days- if I choose. This weekend I can spend the whole three days in bed- if I choose. For the aches and pains I can up my medication if I need to or I can apply heat or my TENS unit. I have options as to how I treat my condition- what a blessing that is!

It's hard sometimes; when you are hurting on a constant basis-to keep perspective. It's easy to get swallowed up by the pain and fatigue. That said- giving thanks for the health I do have and sending my thoughts and prayers to someone who is much worse off than I am is a good way to bring things back into focus and get me back into a positive state of mind.

No comments: