Thursday, April 29, 2010

Here comes the sun.....

It was a BEAUTIFUL day yesterday.  Sitting out in a rose garden at our "remote" location for buyback was SO peaceful.  At one point I looked up and saw a hawk, soaring overhead.  It looked so beautiful, majestic and free as it flew.  Of course- the way my mind is working I thought to myself; "Wow, that is just beautiful but I wonder what HE is thinking."  That comes from the realization that image is not everything and that we never know what is going on in the lives of the people that we think are so "together" or "have it all".  I thank my sisters for that. 

One downside to yesterday is that I am still sun sensitive thanks to the Methotrexate.  This morning my face and forearms are pretty pink.  Needless to say- before I got dressed this morning I slathered those areas with SPF 30! 

The reason that I enjoy doing remotes is that we have so many less students there that I can take plenty of time and really educate the students on the buyback process.  Educating the students on the process is really key.  Buyback is hard because we get two extremes.  We get the kids who are thrilled to sell back their books and love every dime they get.  Then we get the students who feel that it doesn't matter how much you are giving them- you are ripping them off.  They are rude, loud and never satisfied.  It's very hard.  It's hard to stay polite when you are being accused of "screwing them" or are being berated.  It's also hard to reconcile because they bought this product, used it for four months and now get to sell it back.  What else could you take back to the store after four months of use and get money?  Any other type of retail establishment would laugh in your face.  That's the biggest challenge of this odd worlds of this particular type of retail.  That said, when I can take the time to talk to them and teach them how it works and the lightbulb goes off- it is very worthwhile. 

So back out I go today.  Back to my garden.  Back to spending time with the kids and getting snippets of my other work done in the process.  It's going to be 78 and sunny today- that will just add to the enjoyment of being out doing  one of the things that I enjoy most in my job. 

No comments: