I have tried every trick I know to stay positive. I have read inspirational quotes, I have journaled, I have stayed away from things like the news, I have made gratitude list after gratitude list and I have reached out to my support system but none of these things have stopped the ride. Now is the time to change my tactics and try to get back on solid ground.
Here is my game plan:
- First thing I need to do is take stock. I need to see what I can change and what is beyond my control and then let go of the things that I cannot do anything about.
- I need to step back and look at this from a different perspective. This close to the situation it seems as if this is an insurmountable problem- but if I step back and force myself to look at this from the outside I may see that my mountain is indeed a mole hill.
- I need to break the obstacles and the work into small goals- and celebrate when I reach them.
- I need to make time to take care of myself. I cannot let my health suffer for this.
- I need to stop trying to force the gratitude. Making my lists when I am under a lot of stress doesn't feel right. It doesn't bring the peace or the joy that I am trying to acheive. I have realized that it is better to have one thing that I am TRUELY grateful for than a whole host of things that I am reflecting on out of a sense of obligation.
- I need to work on compartmentalizing. I need to leave work at work, and enjoy the 14 hours a day that I am not there.
- I need to stop looking forward and look at NOW. I need to ask myself what can I do at this moment to change the situation and do what needs to be done?
- I need to stop and breathe. Just breathe. Focusing on my breathing allows me to relax some of the tension that creeps back in every chance it gets.