Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Guardian Angels?

Do you believe in Guardian Angels?  Do you believe that someone is watching over you at all times?  I have been thinking about this a lot lately.  Partially because I have been doing a lot of spiritual searching of late and partially because I catch myself, when I am trying to deal with nerves or stress "talking to" a couple of my family members that have passed and asking them to help me or watch over me or whomever else I am worrying about. 

I think there are two types of Guardian Angels.  There are those on earth who watch out for you and guide you in the right direction.  The second are those spirits who you traditionally think of as Angels- watching you from above and nudging you along the way. 

The angels here on earth can be anyone in your life.  It can be a family member, your pastor, your mentor or a friend.  It may be someone you have never and will never even meet.  Heck, Oprah even created a whole philanthropic movement called "The Angel Network".  From the web site's About Us section "In a 1997 episode of “The Oprah Winfrey Show”, Oprah invited viewers to join her in using their lives to improve the lives of others. What began as a campaign to encourage viewers to collect spare change evolved into the charity known as Oprah’s Angel Network."  Sadly, with the end of her show, the Angel Network is also disbanding but I encourage you to read the accomplishments at the link above.  What she did in creating this network was offer all of her viewers an opportunity to be an Angel in some one's life.  You don't have to join a network or donate money to be an angel for someone else or have them be an angel for you.  Any time you reach out to someone in need, a glimpse of that angel is there.  Some of the biggest Angels in MY life have been people who have merely been there when I needed them.  I may not recognize them in the moment (especially when they share hard truths) but in retrospect they have made a huge impact. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This next part is my opinion ONLY.  Obviously the whole blog is my opinion but since this deals with aspects of faith, I feel the need to put in this disclaimer.  It by no means reflects anyone else's opinions and/or teachings but comes from many years of my own quest to find my spiritual beliefs.  I don't often discuss my spiritual beliefs in public so this is somewhat uncomfortable for me.  If you do not want to participate in this portion, I completely understand and respectfully request that you just skip this part. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the Angels above- well, since I firmly believe in ghosts and I firmly believe in an afterlife, I can't discount the probability of angels.  I am of the opinion that we come back over and over until we "get it right" and then we move on.  My opinion on ghosts is that they are of two varieties- there is the energy that is left behind when we are gone (residual ) that continues to linger, and there is the "intelligent" entity that has unfinished business and cannot move on until that business is resolved.  I feel that once we have completed our final journey we are then able to become the one who watches over those who need us- so we in essence become what we think of as Guardian Angels. 

If you are wondering what "proof" I can offer that we have those angels in our lives?  Consider this a moment;  have you ever heard that "little voice" in your head?  The one that is not your own voice, it's not a voice of someone that you know but just a little whisper that directs you one way or another.  I believe that voice is our Angel guiding us.  Another thing to consider is this:  Have you ever had a near miss?  The accident that *almost* happens or when it does you are far less injured than you *should* have been?  Or have someone in your life that is gravely ill and experiences an astounding recovery?  There is a saying that "someone was watching over him/her" for a reason. 

Of course, bad things do happen and often to good people.  Where those angels are in that moment, I just don't know.  That's part of the mystery that I am still working through in my own spiritual journey.  I have several theories, mostly involving intersecting journeys, but I don't think I have quite nailed it as of yet. 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that's what I am thinking about at the moment.  Next week, on Valentine's Day, begins Random Acts of Kindness week.  It's an opportunity for each of us to be an angel.  No matter if it is for a friend, a family member or a total stranger, you can touch the life of another person with just a small gesture, and who doesn't want to be and angel here on earth? 

1 comment:

MissDazey said...

I so believe in guardian Angels.