Friday, April 2, 2010

Happy Friday!

It is a beautiful morning here in Kentuckiana.  Sixty one degrees before the sun has even come up and heading toward 80 once it rises.  There is a gentle breeze coming in the back door and the puppies are behind me in their beds just snoozing.  They have no idea that I (known today as EVIL MOMMY) am taking them to the vet for their check-up and shots in a few hours.  They won't be happy with that but as soon as we get done the three of us are piling back in the car and heading to my see my parents for the Easter weekend.  My honey has to work today and tomorrow so he will join us when he gets out of work.

I am facing a fear this weekend.  My father has asked me to serve as liturgist for one of the churches on Sunday morning.  Public speaking is not my forte.  My hands get clammy, my face flushes and I tend to speak too quickly.  I am going to have to slow down, take a deep breath and try to remember to talk SLOWLY.  It's funny because years ago (like 29ish?) I was cast as one of the leads in Arsenic and Old Lace and I LOVED it.  I loved the performances, the rehersals, the whole process.  I didn't mind being up on stage- because I wasn't being me and I knew how it would go. On the other side of that coin put me in a room where I have to give a presentation and I quake.   But I will do it- because my dad asked.  It's a small church- though it tends to swell on the holidays- and it will be over in an hour.  More- dad knows me well enough that he sent me an email with the material and his blessing to take my travel cup of coffee up to the lecturn with me.  It's like a security blanket even if it's empty.  I will use this as practice for the presentations I need to give at work in short order.  Can you tell I am psyching myself up- or is it out?  :-) 

Either way- I hope you all have a joyous Easter weekend. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've got some glorious weather coming up for the Easter weekend, Jules. I hope you'll enjoy every minute of it, even the liturgy before the congregation of your Dad's church.

I get all freaky about public speaking too. It helps, though, to concentrate on speaking slowly, smiling as you speak (makes your voice happier, and helps cover quavers), and remembering that no one wishes you ill while you're up there. Most people are also incredibly sympathetic -- you're in good company when it comes to having jitters before a crowd.

I hope it goes just great, and I suspect that it will. Enjoy every minute with your family and your dog-friends. Your smile lights the world.
-Wren