Thursday, October 8, 2009

Vacation and Friends

Two quotes to start this morning's post:

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked.
-- Bernard Meltzer

And also:

The ideal friendship is to feel as one while remaining two.
-- Anne Sophie Swetchine

I have officially been on vacation as of 2:30 yesterday afternoon. Of course, starting my vacation in an Enbrel haze required me to sleep early last night. That means that I am considering my vacation starting this morning with a clear head. I am sure some of you can relate.

This vacation is special because my best girlfriend is coming to visit for a week on Saturday. She is flying in from my old life. Though there are many things I do NOT miss about New England- the people do not belong on that list. I had some very wonderful people in my life back there. Leaving them behind was heartbreaking but it needed to be done in order to acheive the peace I have found and continue to find. Fortunately, many of them I have kept in touch with through phone calls, emails, facebook, and other means. I have also been able- through those same means- to renew friendships that go back to the early 80's. What a blessing that has been!

Friends- be they next door, on-line or however you maintain the relationships can be the most important lifeline you have outside your family. And spending a vacation with one- just makes it all wonderful.

No comments: