Thursday, March 26, 2009

Generosity

I am just blown away by people's kindness and generosity.

Jim's mom is very sick. She has been battling cancer since September. A couple of weeks ago we found out that the tumor was back and that there were two this time and there was nothing else to be done. She has been given just a few months, tops, by her doctors. We had planned on doing what we needed to do to scrimp and save and send him back to see her at the end of April. He needs this. He didn't get to say goodbye to his grandmother or his sister and he has been hanging on just with the hope of getting back to see her. Yesterday, his youngest sister called and said he needed to get back sooner if he wanted to spend time with her- so I did everything I could. I scrambled and juggled and got him on a plane last night. It hurts my heart that he has to go through this without me, and it hurts my heart not to be able to go but we have to make sacrifices. And I digress.

In the last two weeks- two very, very generous people have pulled me aside and offered to loan us the money so that we both could go back to see her- and that doesn't include the generosity of my parents. We could not take their offer. It is a little bit of pride mixed with a lot of seeing that kind of situation go bad but I am ever thankful that they would offer to begin with. We will work things out- we always do in the end. But I cannot get over how kind and generous these folks are- one even offered to "babysit" Harley!

There is so much to be thankful for- even in a terrible situation. This is a great reminder of that.

No comments: