Sunday, February 15, 2009

Support Systems

It has been quite some time since I posted. I have taken to using my evening walks with Miss Harley to reflect on the good things that happened during the day and that which I am grateful for. Unfortunately, that doesn't help me look back on them so----I AM BAAAAACKKKKK!

Today I am reflecting on support systems and the impact that they can have on our lives. I am a very, very lucky woman. I have wonderful parents, an unusually supportive husband and a terrific extended family. I have good doctors. I have understanding colleagues and caring friends. I have also found three different RA boards that all fulfill different types of support and sharing needs. When it comes to having a chronic and yet invisible disease, it is so important to have this system in place.

I have seen, on my boards, a lot of people who either don't have that support or who have closed themselves off from it because they are afraid that people just won't understand. I feel that this leads them to let the situation really consume them. I cannot imagine wallowing in your disease all the time. The stress HAS to contribute to making the pain worse- which leads to more stress. It is a viscious circle. There is just more to life!

Having a great support system means two things for me. First- that when I AM having a bad time with it, they are there and surround me with love. Second- when I am NOT having a bad time, they don't coddle me but expect me to live my best life. That combination is key to keeping me going forward and being as healthy and feeling as good as I can be.

I appreciate them all SO MUCH!

No comments: