Tuesday, May 31, 2011

What's your story?


I subscribe to quite a few newsletters online that send me different nuggets to think about each and every day.  Many of these I share here or on facebook so that I can see and think about them throughout the day.  This weekend, I got the opportunity to leave early for my folks and in my rush to pack and get out of town, I forgot my meds.  That means that while I had a lovely visit with my folks, my pain level skyrocketed.  Last night, while I was waiting and waiting and waiting for my meds to kick in, I got the following email message from "The Secret".


From The Secret Daily Teachings


You can limit yourself by the story you have created about you. Here are some simple examples of how the story we have created about ourselves can limit us:

I am no good at math. I have never been able to dance. I am not a very good writer. I am very stubborn. I don't sleep well. I am very moody. I struggle with my weight. My English is not good. I am always late. I am not a very good driver. I can't see without my glasses. It is hard for me to make friends. Money seems to slip through my fingers.

The moment you become aware of what you are saying, you can delete these things and rewrite your story!
I read it and then I read it again.  I see so much of myself in this particular message.  At the moment I opened this email I was kicking myself while I was down because I "so stupid to have forgotten my meds this weekend and put myself in so much pain."  I was kicking myself for not having tracked my foods properly for the weekend.  I was kicking myself because I have so very much to do to get ready for company to come and stay in just 12 days. 

  • I hurt too much to do anything and IT'S MY OWN FAULT. 
  • I just can't stay on track.
  • I will never be ready in time. 
  • There's too much to do.


I can't, I'll never, it's too much, I can't, I'll never, it's too much, I can't, I'll never, it's too much...

Can you see where this was going?  It started with the pain and my own forgetfulness and just spiraled from there.  I know in my heart that negative thoughts multiply so very much faster than positive thoughts.  I work very hard to try and keep that from happening and I fell right back into that trap yesterday. 

Well, it's a new day, a new beginning.  It's time for me to rewrite my story.  It's time to get back on the trail to positivity.  My new story?  Positive steps and hope. 


The pain is on its way back down and the weekend without the meds is over. 

     I have taken the meds I missed, put them in a container in my  "go bag" for when I go to my folks so that I can leave them there and this will never happen again. 

      I have switched my usual pot of coffee for a pot of pomegranate green tea this morning.  The antioxidents are great for my immune system and so far I am not  "missing" the coffee kick.  If I can do this two more days a week I will be onto a great start. 

     I have my yoga class this morning and I am very much looking forward to it.  It will help my body and it will put me in the right frame of mind for the day. 

     I have a busy week, but if I break my housework into small chunks, I can get a big start on the things that need to be done this coming weekend. 

The email has reminded me that NO ONE limits me but me.  This simple email message has given me hope.  Hope that I can turn things back around.  Hope that I can break through those limits and  (FINALLY) make my dreams come true.  Hope that I can break the cycle of growing a whole garden of negative thoughts from just one seed just by recognizing where I am going and telling myself to STOP.  Hope that I can tap into the strength that I know is inside and keep moving forward.  For that, I can start my day feeling very grateful.

1 comment:

Dutch said...

thanks for this post. I really needed to read something like this right now.