Saturday, May 14, 2011

A New Blog to Follow- Thanks Twitter!

I checked my gmail account this morning and got a couple of emails from Twitter showing that I had new followers.  Now- I may not spend a ton of time on there, I may not be able to interact with every follower, but I do check out every single bio that comes my way to see if they are someone that I would like to follow back.  Half of the time they are someone that I already follow and I love it when we follow back and forth because then I don't feel so...awkward if I tweet them.  Sometimes it is someone new, someone who has something to say that I find so terrific that I have to follow them back and learn more.  For anyone who is a detractor of life in 140 characters; that is the gift of Twitter-  finding like minded people that you may never have been exposed to if not for this little "Twitterverse". 

This morning I was "introduced" to @mojonimbus who is an experienced RN who was recently diagnosed with RA.  While I hate to hear that ANYONE has been brought into what I think of as the "club that no one wants to join", I LOVE to see another positive voice out there.  Reading her blog was a little like stepping into my own mind.  Of course, I wanted to add her to my blog list on the right and while I was there, I cleaned out a few that have not been posted to in a year or so. 

I encourage you to check out the list on the right for those that have been updated in the last 6 months.  I put the 6 month limit on them because the older blogs are more personal to my life and are not for everyone.  Some may not apply to your life- I know that- but I think you will find that they all have something to say that may touch your heart.  If you read nothing else, I beg you to please, please read two posts.

 Please read RA Guy's Sixty Second Guide to Rheumatoid Arthritis.  It is the very best way to look at and share with your friends and family what this illness is and means for you and your body.  After that, read Mojonimbus's Become the Muse.  This one contains an insider's view of how to cultivate a terrific doctor/patient relationship.  It's hard, especially in this age of instant gratification, to be dealt the hand of an illness that leaves you in pain 24/7/365.  We want to be out of pain and we want it now, but that is not the reality of living with the host of chronic pain illnesses and injuries.  No doctor, no matter how good they may be, will be able to hand this to you.  No patient; no matter how knowledgeable, no matter how informed, no matter now much they work to be "empowered" will achieve this alone.  This post will teach you how to be an empowered patient without alienating the people that are there to care for you. 

If you know of other blogs that are positive and make you think, please suggest them to me.  I would love to expand this list and find more thoughtful and entertaining blogs to read for myself.  You can email them to me at ChronicallyPositive@gmail.com and I will check them out as soon as I get that email. 

Now it's time to think about getting dressed and on with the day.  We are hoping that the rain will hold off long enough to get in a visit to the Louisville Zoo this afternoon.  Hubby and I love walking around zoos and seeing the animals doing their thing.  Louisville has enough a new exhibit called Glacier Run that we have been looking forward to seeing and this will give me a solid mile+ walk while we meander around.    Have a terrific weekend all!

No comments: