Thursday, September 3, 2009

30 Things About My Invisible Illness You May Not Know

Invisible Illness Week has asked us to fill out this survey and post it to our blogs and other places. I am doing my part by posting it here and at facebook. I hope you will join me and when you do- leave a comment with a link so I can read yours. Sharing is one of the best things we can do to help raise awareness.

My thanks to Invisible Illness Week for creating this survey and for making me think!

30 Things About My Invisible Illness You May Not Know

1. The illness I live with is: Rheumatoid Arthritis and Fibromyalgia

2. I was diagnosed with it in the year: 2005/2009

3. But I had symptoms since: 2004

4. The biggest adjustment I’ve had to make is: coming to terms with my limitations

5. Most people assume: that RA is the same as Osteoarthritis

6. The hardest part about mornings are: getting my hands going and my back stretched out

7. My favorite medical TV show is: n/a

8. A gadget I couldn’t live without is: a jar gripper

9. The hardest part about nights are: getting to sleep
10. Each day I take _5_ pills & vitamins and 2 injections a week. (No comments, please)

11. Regarding alternative treatments I: wish there were accupuncturists on my health plan in my area.

12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose: to stay how I am.

13. Regarding working and career: it's hard to balance with taking care of my illness.

14. People would be surprised to know: how much I ache all the time.

15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been: knowing there is no cure.

16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was: give myself shots

17. The commercials about my illness: annoy me. Most of them are either stupid or contain old people.

18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is: having energy.

19. It was really hard to have to give up: most of my crafts.

20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is: making jewelery and "knitting".

21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would: wear heels for a day!

22. My illness has taught me: gratitude

23. Want to know a secret? One thing people say that gets under my skin is: "Oh, just do xxx and it will cure you. My grandmother had arthritis and this worked for her!"

24. But I love it when people: understand that I am tired and can't do all the things I used to do.

25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is: This too shall pass.

26. When someone is diagnosed I’d like to tell them: Attitude makes all the difference. You can choose to live with or suffer from your disease.

27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is: how easily people forget you are sick when they can't see it.

28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn’t feeling well was: book me a massage.

29. I’m involved with Invisible Illness Week because: people should know you can't see every illness.

30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel: like you care enough to learn more.

Find out more about National Invisible Chronic Illness Awareness Week and the 5-day free virtual conference with 20 speakers Sept 14-18, 2009 at www.invisibleillness.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jules,

I've been reading your blog and really enjoy your writing and positive perspective. Because of this post I became aware of Invisible Illness Week and have now posted the 30 Things to my own blog. Thanks for posting this and keep up the good mental vibes.

Sandra
The Arthritis Kitchen Blog