Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Things I am obsessed with this week.

Okay, maybe not OBSESSED with but certainly fascinated by:

Swagbucks - This website allows you to earn "points" or "swagbucks" for doing things like searching using their search bar, responding to polls, answering surveys and viewing special offers.  You don't have to buy anything- but if you choose to shop through their store, you earn points.  The more you do, the more you earn.  Me- I am pretty passive but still manage to earn enough to redeem every other month or so. With the "bucks" you can redeem for items ranging from mp3 players to gift cards.  I have personally gotten half a dozen Barnes and Noble gift cards and most recently an iTunes gift card.  It's a neat site.  If you are interested- contact me and I will send you an invite because successful referrals earns you points as well.

Flipboard - Flipboard describes itself as a pocket-sized social magazine.  It is my very favorite app on both my iPad and my iPhone.  In addition to keeping me up to date on my Facebook Wall and Twitter Feed (you cannot post from flipboard but the feeds and there to view) I also read my News, keep up on Tech Innovations, Lifestyle blogs, The Happiness Project, my Google Reader and other feeds all in one spot.  You can search anything that interests you and it will give link you to blogs, Twitter feeds, Facebook pages, Flickr photos etc that apply to your search term.  They also have a "Best of Flipboard" that gives you suggestions.  I have found the most gorgeous photos  (check out Spooky New Mexico) that way.  Literally breathtaking.  I also have found neat blogs, which brings me to my next item:

The Burning House - There is a really cool blog called The Burning House.  The blog asks the question: "If your house was burning, what would you take with you? It's a conflict between what's practical, valuable and sentimental. What you would take reflects your interests, background and priorities. Think of it as an interview condensed into one question."  The caveat is that your family and your pets are safe- so what would you take?  They invite you to think of those things you would take, lay them out on the floor or a table, take a photo of it and upload it along with a little biographical info.  I love this site.  It's so fascinating to see what people would take with them.  The funny thing is that every time I think I know what I would take, I see something that is in someone else's collection and it reminds me of something that means a lot to me so I change my mind again and again.  It really makes you dig down deep and think about what your "things" mean to you.

And last but not least; Pinterest - Oh Pinterest how I love thee.  Pinterest is another form of social media.  Think of it as a giant bulletin board for all things that interest you.  I have created boards for Recipes to Try, Quotes, Crafts, Decorating Ideas, Things I Love and more.  You can just go nuts creating your boards.  After you create your initial boards, you browse through until you find things to "pin" to your boards.  As you find things that interest you and pin them you can check out the boards belonging to the  person who pinned it before you and if you like their things you can "follow" any or all of their boards so that as they pin more, you see it in your feed and find new ideas.  You can also, by signing in with your Facebook/Twitter/Flickr account see who in your social media circles are already on Pinterest so you can follow them too.  It's a lot of fun.  Personally- I have 18 boards created with 333 pins so far.  When I have time, I sign in, scroll through my feed and always find something to pin.  Heck- my recipes board alone has 90 pins and gives me inspiration for my weekly meal planning.  Pinterest is currently in beta phase so it's not open to everyone.  If you check it out and decide that it's something for you, give me a holler and I will send you an invite.

Thats it- that's what I am obsessed with this week!  These things make me happy and let me destress.  What are some of your favorite things?  

No comments: