Thursday, August 18, 2011

Girlfriends

When I was growing up, I had a few friends who were girls but I tended to relate more to boys.  It comes down simply to the way women relate to one another as opposed to how men relate to one another.  With girls (especially during the teenage years) when they get angry there is drama and tears and so much more.  With guys, when they get angry- they punch one another and it's over.    I have a low tolerance for drama so it was easier to just hang out with the guys. 

Now- in my forties (and starting in my 30's)- my tolerance for drama is even lower but I have come to appreciate the benefits of having girlfriends.  I have a few, but they are geographically all over the place and I miss them.  I miss the cameraderie, I miss having someone to really talk to, I miss having someone to do girl stuff with- mani/pedis and all sorts of things that men just don't enjoy.  I know that I can call them at any time- but it's just not the same. 

So what's the issue?  Well, it's pretty simple actually.  I have become a bit of a hermit and a lot more guarded.  Other than not wanting to disappoint anyone with cancelled plans and such, I have drawn into myself and am having a hard time getting out of my shell enough to make new friends.  Plus- I like being at home.  I am perfectly happy to stay at home with my "babies" and veg out so that is a part of it.  That said, I think it's far past time that I get out there and meet new people.  That's going to give me something to think about and act on after rush. 

1 comment:

Cassandra Mary said...

I can so relate!! My reason for hanging with the boys was partly because I was too shy to make my own friends so I tagged along with my older brother... although the drama that came with being around a bunch of females was a huge turn-off as well.

Good luck reaching out! I know how hard it is when you don't feel good and want to just bask in the comfort of home. That's where I spend the majority of my time away from work... at home with the cats, the dog and the hubby. It's rather peaceful =)