Friday, May 6, 2011

It's Almost Mother's Day!

I know I have dedicated posts to her before- but my Mom really is terrific.  She's smart, she's funny (you should sit with us at church- serious giggles at times), she's loving and she's genuine.  She taught me (and I am sure my sisters as well) that we can make mistakes and we can learn from them.  She taught me to take responsibility for my life and to never stop reaching for our dreams.  So what could be better than having a mom like mine?  Being a Mom of course!

24 years ago (May 10th, 1987) there was a bit of a...difference of opinion about Mother's Day.  You see, I was just over a week away from our son being born- so hubby was of the opinion that I was not yet a Mom.  In MY opinion- I had been carrying him for 39 weeks- dang it all- I already was a Mom!  Looking back- the whole thing was a little silly but when you are 19, living overseas and away from your family, it's the little things I guess. In case you are wondering- I won that battle-lol.  Little did I know that it would be only one of MANY silly little battles over the years, first with the other half and then with the darling son. Hair, clothes, school, rules, you name it, he pushed my buttons if he thought he could- but always with a large thread of  love holding us together.   Looking back- I wouldn't have changed any of them because he taught me to not sweat the small stuff and chose which battles were worth fighting.

I cannot tell you how blessed I feel to be a part of the "club" that is being a Mom.  On Sunday, I not only honor my own Mother but also Josh for making me a Mom as well.  I only hope I did half the job she did.  

No comments: