Saturday, December 5, 2009

Getting to Gratitude - Having a Positive Day.

Little Things You Can Do to Have a Positive and Gratitude Filled Day


For my final post in this series, I wanted to share some small, simple things that I do to make my day one of positivity and gratitude.

  • Start the day off right. Before your feet hit the ground- think of something for which to give thanks- even if it is just that you woke up this morning!
  • While you are getting ready for your day- visualize the things you have to do in a positive light. See your commute going smoothly, meetings going well, your day being productive. Take a few deep breaths and see your day going exactly as you would like it to go. When you approach your tasks with positivity even when things don't go your way it is not so bad.
  • Do something for yourself. It could a special treat, a gift of quiet time, a few solitary minutes to pray or meditate. You can give yourself a facial, a bath with essential oils, a manicure and pedicure. Check a book out of the library that you wanted to read. Anything that is just for you! You deserve something special in your life.
  • Do something for someone else. It could be as simple as opening a door for someone whose hands are full or letting someone go before you in traffic. It could be completely anonymous or very personal. It doesn't have to be big. One example of this is recently when I was at the grocery. I was a little bummed out about my very limited budget and was starting to stew. I knew that I had gotten everything that I needed and between sales and coupons- I would have a dollar or two left. Waiting to be rung up I looked and looked at the chocolate (I was hungry while shopping- big mistake) as I was feeling a little sorry for myself. Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted the “donate a gift of groceries” slips stuck up on top of the soda cooler. They come in $1, $2 and $5 denominations. Rather than choosing a candy bar (those Turtles were calling my name)- I chose the dollar slip and added it to my groceries. As she rang it up I thought to myself “My budget may be limited- but at least I can afford to share a little- things aren't so bad after all.” It brought a smile to my heart and made me feel better about my own situation.
  • Give yourself something positive to focus on. Plan to do something that you enjoy on the weekend or in a week or two so that you have something to look forward to in the coming days. When you do that- plan something else. Always keep something good coming down the pike.
  • Reach out to someone that you love. Send them an email, a handwritten letter or give them a call just to tell them that you appreciate them and are glad they are in your life.
  • Take a walk around the block. Notice the color of the sky, the sun or the stars. Find something particularly unusual or beautiful and give thanks for having found it.
  • Embrace your inner child. Go to a park and swing on the swings. Color a picture with crayons, finger paint, anything that you haven't done in years that brings back fond memories of your childhood.
  • End your day the way you began it. As soon as you lay down in your bed, think of things you are thankful for that happened throughout the day or that are on your mind. Ending the day focusing on things you can be grateful for makes for more peaceful sleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are very wise, Jules. Thanks for sharing these good, thought-provoking suggestions. It's easy to get lost in the noxious weeds of everyday life and forget to keep an eye out for the flowers.
-Wren