Saturday, March 12, 2011

Stress and Serenity

Only a quick post this morning as I have my little "side job" this morning.  I have been fortunate enough to, for the last year or so, get to proctor the Praxis exam half a dozen times a year.  Having sat for a national exam I know how nervous these folks are and if I can help them ease into it and make sure there are no distractions- all the better. 

So the side effects of the cortisone injections is a throbbing ache in the injected site.  When I get home this afternoon I will alternatively ice and heat the site.  Based on last week's injection I should be A-okay by Monday.  Already I am feeling a bit of relief through the ache- the pain is different- which is lovely. 

This has been an interesting week at work.  A couple of things that happened that, if I let it, could have caused me a very large amount of stress.  I did a lot of deep breathing- A LOT of deep breathing and as much as I could let it roll off.  I know darned good and well that in my life, stress can set off a flare faster than I can blink.  It's taking all of the tips and tricks that I know to keep the stress away but I can power through. 
I have discovered that I can let myself get angry but it won't do any good so there is no point.  Instead- I can take a cue from the Serenity Prayer:  I can accept the things I cannot change and have the courage to change the things I can. More importantly- I can be grateful that I have the wisdom to know the difference.  There was a day that I would tilt at windmills- but that day is gone and that brings me no small measure of peace. 

No comments: