Wednesday, March 2, 2011

It's time to walk again!





Well, it's that time again!  Walk season is in full motion.  This year, I am walking in two walks again, on the west side of the state in my parents town in May and  here in Louisville in September.  The walks are very important to me.  Not only do we raise money that is so needed for research and programs through the Arthritis Foundation but one thing that I learned from doing the Avon Walks is that when you are out there just driving around or walking around and you see that sea of people and the banners and all of the hoopla that goes with it- it catches your eye.  If we can get the word out in public that "Arthritis is not just for old people" then it will make a difference.

This year I decided to join the Walk Committee for the Louisville walk.  Last night was my first meeting and I have to admit that I was nervous going in there.  I don't know why but it seems that since I made so many life changes, I am a little more- no, a lot more, withdrawn and much less outgoing so joining this committee was a little scary.  The meeting went well- there are just over a dozen members and they all had good ideas and questions and suggestions.  The focus of this meeting was recruiting teams to walk.  We brainstormed ways to get the word out and how to encourage people to walk for our cause.   There were a lot of good ideas but we are always looking for more.

So I am throwing this out to you.  Have you done a walk for a cause?  How would YOU find teams?  What did you do to raise funds for your walk?  What did you like about your walk experience?  What did you NOT like?  I would love to hear from you.  You can leave a comment here or if you prefer not to publicize your efforts you can email me at ChronicallyPositive@gmail.com .

Here's hoping you have a pain free day!

No comments: