Thursday, July 28, 2011

A touch of writer's block

I am having a touch of writer's block.  On August 15th I am supposed to speak to my Dad's congregations on the topic of "Where There is Hope."   First- public speaking terrifies me.  Knowing that whatever I write will have to translate well as I speak makes me shake in my boots.  I think the biggest problem is that the very last thing I want to do is let my Dad down. 

I have been looking at that page for days.  I have my intro complete.  I think it's important for the people to know how I came to working on living from a place of positivity and gratitude.  That was the easy part.  I also have two quotes to pop in there.  Another easy part.  Now comes the tough stuff, leading those who have had setbacks back to hope.  I write and then erase, write some more, backspace.  I have written the last three nights and the following morning when I read through it again- out it goes.  I think this weekend I will really hunker down to write, but before I do I have to make a vow to stop overthinking and just write from my heart.  Then I will send it to Dad and let him suggest edits. I know that I need to just write from the heart and not lead to far into "instructional" mode.  Too many years of designing training programs makes me head that way at times and I know it. I just want it to be perfect and I know that I will struggle to let go of that. 

I think it's time to set aside the fact that I have to speak and get back to just focusing on the actually writing.  ....

2 comments:

Kim in FL said...

YOU CAN DO IT!! I know you can........Kim in FL

Nan Hart said...

As scary as public speaking is if you can handle the unpredictability of RA you can tackle anything! Nan