Sunday, April 17, 2011

Mom was right....AGAIN!

It's been 24 years since I was pregnant with my son.  It was during that 40 weeks that I got my first inkling of how truly brilliant that my mom is.   In the time since I produced Number 1 Grandchild,  I have learned to listen to Mom on a regular basis, even if I didn't always act on her words of wisdom.

A month or so ago Hubby and I were at Mom and Dad's house and we mentioned that we both needed to have eye exams.  Hubby has been passively complaining for months about "going blind" and I have noticed that my vision wasn't as wonderful as it had been when it self-corrected back when I was 35.  I also have had an issue since I started my pain med combo a few years ago with dry eyes that only got worse with a year on prednisone.    Three years ago- shortly after my new meds (at the time) I bought the first bottle of Visine that I ever needed for reasons other than.....recreational recovery...    Mom said at that time "Be prepared, you are both at the age when you will probably need bifocals!" We laughed and said something to the effect of "It's not THAT bad!" and that was the end of the conversation.

Well- Mom was right.  Just about $650 later we have our new glasses.  While we were waiting for them to be   made (gotta love Lenscrafters and their In About an Hour thing) I called my parents and said "So- are you going to throw us a "Welcome to the Bi-focal Club" party?"  Dad just laughed and laughed and laughed.  He then promised to have some "old fart" food on hand next weekend when we come visit again.  They are just so funny.  :-/

The bright side of this whole adventure in learning that Mom is always right?  The next generation is already on that path.  Josh's current girlfriend has two little people of her own.  In the year that he has been with her- he has called me half a dozen times to tell me I was right about this or that.  The very best thing I have ever heard from him was when he told me that he always thought we had it so easy as parents- but he has realized that we made it LOOK easy.  When he said that, I was so touched that I almost cried and it's for that reason that I didn't give my parents a giant raspberry and (as I often do) made sure that they knew that I knew that they were right.  

No comments: