Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Good News

Each morning, after Miss Harley and I take our walk, I plop down in my "office" (aka the section of my dining room with my desk, PC, television and secretary), sip my coffee and watch the local news before flipping on my DVR. Though my goal is to catch the weather and traffic forecasts I also like to keep abreast of what is going on in the world around me. The problem with this, and the reason I can't sit and watch the news all morning is that it is just so depressing!

In the last 15 minutes WLKY News (our CBS affiliate) has covered two shootings, one court case against a high school football coach recently acquitted of reckless homicide, 2 accidents currently being worked near here, killer floods in Georgia, the extended terror warning, and the fact that Anthem insurance just took the largest health care concern in Louisville out of their network- including Kosair Children's Hospital. It leaves me scratching my head and wanting to shout at the anchors; "Didn't anything GOOD happen in the Louisville area last night?"

This is not the way that I want to start my morning. All of this bad news just doesn't lend itself to a positive attitude. In response, my usual MO is to turn off the news and watch something I "taped" last night. Recently though I have begun to search out GOOD news. I sifted through the hits to weed out the specifically religious sites and this is what I have found:

The first thing that popped (and I bookmarked) was the Good News Network The founder describes her mission as this:
The mission is to provide a "Daily Dose of News to Enthuse." The Good News Network is a clearinghouse for the gathering and dissemination of positive news stories from around the globe. Daily stories will confirm what we already believe — that good news itself is not in short supply; the advertising of it is.
With stories that are positive and archives you can search- the Good News Network is an antidote to the inundation of misery we get from "regular news."

The second spot I found to land my cursor was Happy News. Happy News focuses more on people doing great things. As you read through the section on Heroes, you can't help but be inspired.

The third place I stopped was Positive News Daily This site from the UK brings us stories from all around the globe.

These sites are each balanced with stories about people, businesses and events that are bringing something good to this crazy world- and the bring a smile to my face. They are a MUCH better alternative for me to start my morning.

Enjoy your day!

No comments: