Monday, January 23, 2012

Crazy Weather, Insomnia and other Train Wrecks

It's 3am my time.  It's the 22nd of January. It's 58 degrees here in Kentuckiana and we have severe storms sitting right on top of us for two more hours.  I got about an hour of dozing type sleep and then the barometric pressure started going up, up, up and all the usual joints started throbbing.  It has NOT been a fun night.  On the positive side- last week's storm brought us tornadoes and a cold snap.  This storm is possibly bringing tornadoes as well- but it's going to be in the 40's and 50's all week.  Now THIS is my kind of winter.  I don't care about getting wet.  I usually just toss my hair up anyway and it's not like I am sweet enough to melt.  I just loathe the snow and the closer we get to spring without it- the happier I am. 

As a football fan in general and a New England Patriots fan in particular, I literally bit the polish off of my nails during "our" game.  I was all pumped up and mentally ready for overtime when the Raven's kicker missed the field goal and ended the game.  That, of course, means that "we" are going to the SUPERBOWL!  If any of the Pats are reading this- fly in to Louisville and I will cook you a home cooked dinner on your way to Indy!  As for the Giants/SF game- I was listening with half an ear and popping in for replays but I am sure that my sister (the Giants fan) and all of the other fans were on the edge of their seats as well.  

I don't know if you have ever seen the show Toddlers and Tiaras.  I saw my first whole episode the other night and I was more than a little horrified.  It was like a train wreck that I just couldn't stop watching!  I was so pulled in that I DVR'd several more episodes and have been watching it all day today.  I cannot believe the behavior of most of these kids.  More- I cannot believe the parents.  I get it- really I do.  I know that TLC edits many, many hours of footage to show us the worst for the entertainment value.  That said- if my child ever spoke to me the way these kids speak to their parents, if he ever threw the hissy fits these kids throw and get away with- I would swat his butt so fast he would not know what hit him.  On the flip side- these parents not only tolerate it, they create it.  I saw kids aged 2-7 years old sucking down Red Bull, Mountain Dew, Sugar Cubes and Pixy Stix like they were going out of style.  Not just sucking them down but parents feeding them to them in sippy cups and whatnot.  One parent even admitted to going through FIFTEEN BAGS of Pixy Stix at one pageant.  Nothing like hopping your kid up so they will perform and then standing by and watching as they melt down as they hit the sugar crash.  I just couldn't believe it.  I go back and forth between thinking that these kids are horrible and wanting to smack the parents who created the monster.  While I don't agree with a lot of their detractors who say that pageants in general are child abuse- I do think that the way some of the parents talk to their kids and drag them around borders on abusive at times. I believe that the amount these parents spend on this stuff (one parent admitted to spending close to $30,000 a year) is beyond ridiculous.  I also think these "glitz" pageants are a haven for pedophiles with the photos of these itty bitty girls looking either like china dolls or 16 year olds all over the internet.  It will be interesting to see if TLC follows these kids as they grow up because their parents are in for some big trouble.  Makes me very grateful to have had a boy.  Makes me even more grateful that we didn't expose him to a world where he was constantly and literally judged on his looks.  I am glad that, for any and all mistakes that we made, he was allowed to be a kid as much as he could.  

Well- that's all I've got for now!  Happy Monday everyone!   

No comments: