Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The best medicine-for whatever ails you

“I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.”
― Woody Allen

My darling son is, at the moment, suffering from a broken heart. He and his girlfriend of 5 years broke up the other night. They have broken up before- several times- but this time it is particularly ugly. That does not preclude them getting back together- only geography could do that- but for the moment it is not looking that way. As a Mom (with a capital M), there is nothing I can do except be here and listen. Advice would fall on mostly deaf ears.

We talked quite a bit yesterday. We talk almost daily but yesterday was several times. I think what helped most was when I was inadvertently funny. Now- I didn't try to tell him jokes. I didn't say "cheer up". I didn't even necessarily *try* to cheer him up, but those moments when I said something that he found ironic or amusing and he laughed; it most assuredly lightened his heart if just for a brief second. I am thankful for that.

Last Friday I went for my second Orencia infusion. There were 5 women and one man in the infusion room. We were on different medications, we had not met one another before, our only commonality was that we were all sitting in chairs with an IV in our arms and had wonderful nurses and assistants with us. The first time, there was a somewhat difficult patient- a screamer if you will. Older than I and apparently an old hat at this (so often that they have suggested a port), this gentleman evidently screams so loudly that it scares the "regular" patients. The mood was more tense in the room as a whole- and I was more nervous to boot. This time everyone was talking and laughing and the time seemed to go much more quickly. It was not an unpleasant experience the first time; the second time however was much more relaxed and jovial.

It has been said time and again that laughter is the best medicine and I am here to tell you that it is true. Through trauma, pain, grief, a broken heart or a broken body; laughter heals beginning with the soul. Have you had a good laugh lately?

1 comment:

Living It, Loving It said...

Laughter is always the best medicine. One of the things I have been told is that I am the kind of person who laughs when she really wants to cry. I know that it is true because I have been through so many hurdles that I have somehow run out of tears. Chronic illness changes us whether we want it to or not. I feel for your son but I am sure he will have many more broken heart moments before he finally finds the right girl.