Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Rebounding from burnout.

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. 
Some come from ahead and some come from behind. 
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. 
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" 


- Dr. Seuss


It's that time of year- back to school.  For many that means the deep sigh of sending the tots off for 6-8 hours of education.  For many, it's a break.  Not so much when you are in my business.  I have a bazillion things to get ready- and the deadline for a lot of them is next Monday.  I have been positively frantic and I have been a bit short handed at work which lead to a minor bout of burnout.  I haven't been able to stop my brain from going in 47 directions at once. My to-do list is a list of lists- but that's all I have been writing.  I haven't been able to write here, on my latest project or even in my journal because my brain couldn't get beyond all of the tasks I have to do.  Making the decision as to what to make for dinner had become a major chore. I was exhausted when I went to bed and exhausted when I woke up.  I had pushed and pushed myself until I was ready to both collapse and pull my hair out-at the same time.  I needed a break- so last week I took one.  I left work Wednesday afternoon with the intention of taking two vacation days and the weekend to just be a lump and rest.  

Well, despite daily (and sometimes multiple daily) phone calls from work- I slowly found myself leveling off.  One day- I didn't even get out of my pajamas. One day, I read until my eyes closed, took a nap, and read some more.  I caught up on personal emails.  I played with the dogs.  I finished watching the first 7 seasons of Supernatural.  Hubby and I *finally* got to see The Dark Knight Rises then went next door to Meijer and picked up live lobsters on the way home to make a small feast.  Much too quickly it was Monday again and though I could feel the tension creep back into my shoulders and neck, it was back to work.  

I still have a million things to do.  I still have lists of lists but where the burnout was consuming me, it has been relegated to the back corner of my brain.  The time off gave me just enough perspective to see that by taking each day by day I WILL make it through this season.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note- yesterday I received a really neat honor.  This little blog has been named to healthline.com's 22 Best Rheumatoid Arthritis Blogs of 2012  I am in great company as most of these are blogs that I subscribe to, written by people much brighter than I am feeling these days.  I found this out yesterday, just when I was at a low point of the "going back to work" Monday-afternoon-blues and it made my entire day.  I urge you to check out this list.  Flipping through the slideshow you will see some familiar names (Congrats RA Guy, Kelly, Wren, Deb from ABCsofRa, Cateepoo!) and will discover new blogs that come from all different viewpoints and walks of life.  You won't be sorry! 

No comments: