Tuesday, June 7, 2011

A Hodge-Podge of Stuff

I am all over the place this morning- that's pretty typical for me in the morning.  **Just a warning**I have a whole bunch of things on my mind and haven't really gotten my head straight yet so this may be a mish-mash of different topics.   

So it's technically not summer but it sure feels like it!  We have been in the 90's for a couple of weeks now.  It's also vacation time at work.  My assistant was off last week, I am off next week (YAY!) and my other full timers are taking off a day a week to blow through some of their vacation time.  Of course that means that we are a little short handed some days but it keeps things interesting when we have to hop around.  Summer means that many of my "shows" that I watch have ended (sniff-sniff) and new ones are on to be interested in.  A couple of things that have me thinking about television:

First there is the show Secret Life of the American Teenager.  I know- ABC Family when mine is grown?  I started watching this because Molly Ringwald is one of the stars- and I have really liked her since she defined my teenage life in the John Hughes movies.  If you are my age, I am willing to bet you have seen the "holy trinity" of Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club and Pretty in Pink at least once.  The thing I don't like about this show is that while the "try" to show the reality of having a child while in high school, and they do PSA's during the show about teenage sex and pregnancy- they show it as far too easy for the main character in my opinion.  That said- this season, the "school slut" ended up pregnant as well.  All the silly drama aside, it was SUPER unrealistic (the step-mother of the boy involved gives him a $55,000 ring to propose to the girl-really?  The parents give these 17 year olds a condo?  Really?) as to how wonderful it is to get "knocked up" by a rich kid.    Last night though- they blew me away.  Last night- the "Bad Girl" and "Rich kid" lost the baby at term.  It was stillborn.  As this "couple" went through this, rather than the usual showing them "playing grown-up" they really became the scared and devastated kids that they should be.  As they cried, I cried right with them.  As their parents held them and cried- I cried with the parents.  As the friends came to the hospital thinking they were going to celebrate and the father of the boy told them what happened, the fear, confusion and tears were very, very well done by these kids.  Francia Raisa who plays the "bad girl" was magnificent in the grieving.  Most of the time she plays this character over the top but in this episode she really did shine.  I often wonder- as I watch this show WHY it facinates me when I am not really a fan of teenagers as a species but it's guilty pleasure- what can I say? 

The second show that has caught my attention is the new Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition.  Trainer Chris Powell works with people who are morbidly obese to really change their lives.  What I love about this show is that it's not a "quick fix" like The Biggest Loser or the original Extreme Makeover.  Rather, this process is a full year long.  The first three months, Chris works with the person every day to teach them how to exercise and eat properly and to create the habits they need to do this.  Then he goes away and lets them continue with the program that he sets for them checking in fairly often.  In the end, when they do the "big reveal"  these people have not only lost the weight but really changed their entire lives and while a lot of the credit goes to Chris and his approach- more goes to the person because they really acheived this themselves.  It's not always rosy, when they struggle, you can see it.  But in the end when they finish- you know that they have really changed their lives forever both inside and out.    I think the thing I love the most is Chris Powell's approach.  He, like Jesse Pavelka (DieTribe on Lifetime) are encouraging, supportive and truly care about the wellbeing of their clients.  While you will see them push people through the limits they have placed on themselves- you will NEVER see them screaming at their clients or berating them.  That's the appeal for me and I wish I had a trainer like them.  

Speaking of training- it's Yoga Tuesday!  That makes me happy.  In fact, since 5 I have been compulsively checking the clock to see if it's time to go.  I haven't made it to the aquatics class yet- but it's still on my radar.  Belly dancing starts tomorrow- I am looking forward to that and dreading it all at once.  Going to Yoga has given me the courage to start this other class- and that's a good thing too.  The only reason that I haven't gone to the other class is that I haven't been able to get into the pool.  :-/  One thing I think I want to do is to try and remember to bring my yoga mat into the house and see if I have the room to do a video on ONDemand.  I have tried before but couldn't make it through.  Now that I have been going to the class for a few weeks- I think I can do it.  I really need to work on my balance.  Pre-RA I could do the tree pose until my Rottie got aggravated and would bump me and knock me over (it was REALLY FUNNY if you visualize it).  Post-RA, one of the things I have lost the most and that there is no assistive device that can really help is my balance.  Rather than positioning my foot above my knee going into this pose, now it is up on my tiptoes but still on the ground.    Other balancing poses I struggle as well but I can touch the wall to right myself but with tree I just can't seem to do it. 

After Yoga this morning- I have to be the "mean puppy mommy" and take Miss Harley for her annual shots and then this afternoon both puppies are heading to the groomers.  Auggie is really good about both but Harley HATES it.  I think the smell of all of the other dogs and cats is too reminicent of being in the shelter for her because though she is really, really good about being there, when she gets out she just shakes until she is back in the car and on her way home.  After that it's off to work until close and then home to get the laundry folded and re-make the bed in the guest room because in just a few days my dearest friend will be here for a week.  I cannot wait to have her here.  Both hubby and I adore her and that she has been here every single year since we left New England means the world to me.  Though getting ready to have her here has been a bit of a frenzy (yes, I am a procrastinator) - once she is here I will be able to just enjoy her company.

On that note- I leave you with a quote this morning:  

"We are so often caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey, especially the goodness of the people we meet on the way. Appreciation is a wonderful feeling, don't overlook it."


Author Unknown

Have a great day today and if you stop for a moment and just breathe in the scents of summer- think of me because I will be thinking of you! 


  

No comments: