Monday, February 14, 2011

Sick Husband + Flaring Wife = One Cranky Weekend

This past weekend was a tough weekend.  As I mentioned the other day, Hubby has been sick.  He is STILL sick.  He finally gave up on the Nyquil and tried something different yesterday.  He's up and went to work this morning and that means that he is on the mend.

Last week was a long week for me.  I worked my tail feathers off getting ready for my annual inventory.  I was running around all week and on Saturday I was on my feet for a solid 10 hours.  I didn't even stop for lunch, I grabbed a slice of pizza and went on with my recounts.  I knew this was coming.  I knew that by Saturday night I would be plum worn out and I was right.  What I didn't expect was a full on fibro flare.

Fibromyalgia flares are very different from Rheumatoid Arthritis flares.  The best way that I can describe a Fibro flare is that with any and every touch, even the slightest touch, your muscles feels like you are being beaten with a baseball bat.  My worst area for my fibro is my back and hips.  From my neck to my knees it feels like one giant bruise but from my shoulders to my lower back and hips it is magnified.  Walking around aggravates it, laying down on my back is impossible and sitting for too long aggravates it.  Needless to say- it is pretty painful.

You add my flare to hubby's very sickness and you get two people who are snapping at one another on a regular basis.  Neither of us felt like doing anything.  Walking the dogs brought the biggest snarling match of the weekend.  Fortunately (and yes I do mean fortunately) that is not a task that cannot be left undone.  Why fortunately?  Because if I hadn't gone ahead and walked them myself I can see where I would have just wallowed in self pity.  Instead, I changed into my pajamas (I have no shame-lol) and took the babies out and then came home and went to bed.  I probably would have stayed up much later stewing about the fact that I am flaring and going on vacation in just a few days and worrying about making that trip.  Forcing myself to take them for their full walk got me in the mindset of "Suck it up and deal!" and now I will be able to do the same if my flare is still hanging on come Wednesday when I start the first leg of my journey and take the puppies to Mom and Dad's house.  I can't say that I started the walk with good grace- but by the time we got home I had blown off some of the steam and had turned my thinking around about dealing with the flare so now I can be thankful that it was necessary.

I don't know that I will have the time (or energy) to write again before or during our trip so if not, I hope you all have a wonderful next 10 or so days!

1 comment:

Lana said...

An interesting weekend for the two of you. I hope everyone is feeling better these days. I know exactly what you mean about fibro flares and the “slightest touch.” Typing those words, I could feel the pain. My worst areas seem to be my arms, neck and shoulders, and I am not saying the rest of me is immune. It is just the worst in those areas. Well feel better soon and hope the trip went well.