Sunday, July 25, 2010

Back from Vacation and Swimming in a Sea of Ben Gay

     This is a double update of sorts.  I had a wonderful vacation with my parents.  Not a whole lot of excitement- which is just what I needed.  We did some errands, we did get some "work" done- but mostly we just spent time together- and that is the most important thing.  The puppies also had a good time.  They LOVE Grandma and Papa's yard and getting to run free and chase the critters.  They were very proud- Harley treed an oppossum and Auggie decimated a Vole.  After that, Auggie just wanted to watch Vole Holes and Harley was able to run without him trailing behind everywhere. 

     I, on the other hand, learned a very serious lesson.  I ran out of my prednisone almost a week before I left.  I went on Sunday to refill it and there were no refills left.  The pharmacy offered to fax over a request for me and contact me.   They called me on Friday morning to tell me it was ready and so I drove into Louisville to pick it up.  I should probably admit that my husband normally drives when we go get my scripts- and that I cannot find my way out of a paper bag without a GPS.  That means that when my GPS failed- I got all turned around- and upset- and then stuck in traffic.  At that point, I called hubby and asked him to pick it up while I was gone and headed west.  Not my best moment on several levels.  First- I got myself worked up in a serious way about the whole thing, and second- having been off the prednisone for 5 days- I was half way to a major flare.  Couple that with driving two hours and I was in rough shape.  Fortunately- after conferring with the parents, I went to CVS and had my script transferred, bought two good braces and a couple of boxes of Thermacare and the flare started to subside within a couple of days. 

    What this tells me is that the Orencia either is not working or has not kicked in yet.  The residual pain in my shoulder, hips and elbow are keeping me up at night.  I am going to have to have a serious discussion with my Rheumy about this.  Over $300 dollars a month for infusions is too much to pay if going off prednisone can set me back so quickly.  The pain makes me cranky and the lack of sleep just adds to it.  When I get cranky- it's just not pretty.  I have another infusion on this coming Friday and then my next appointment with my Rheumy is next month.  Until then, I will keep on keeping on.

      Meanwhile, the puppies settle back into apartment life and I go back to work tomorrow.  I have a semi-short week (four days long hours and then a meeting on Friday) and then it's back to vacation.  I am very much looking forward to my dearest friend coming to visit next Saturday.  She will be here for a week and we will have so much fun.  We are planning all sorts of touristy things and have left plenty of time for just gabbing and enjoying the visit.  It will also give me another week of rest before we head into my Rush at work.  That should be just what I need to get through the next couple of months.   

No comments: