Monday, January 5, 2015

Back to Work and Back to Spring Rush




    I don't know about you but it seems most of us have a rough time getting back to the daily grind after a vacation or time off.  The last two weeks have been lovely-ish.  We had "short" days at work, 8 hour days instead of 10.5 but only four hours a day open to the public- the rest behind the scenes.  We had a two day work week for Christmas week and four-ish (I worked Saturday) for the New Year.  Today we go back- and straight into extended hours.  From now until MLK day- it's time to fire on all cylinders.  The two hard parts about Spring Rush for me is that we go from end of semester (which is crazy busy) to the holidays to Rush again in a matter of three weeks and it's hard to go from up to down to up again so quickly.  The old body just doesn't do that as easily any longer.  It must be done though because this job provides the health insurance that covers all of the medical crap so- I will persevere.  One thing I have learned is that the key to perseverance is preparation.  

    How have I prepared?  I have bought a brace for my back since I will be on my feet all day every day.  I have made sure my RX's are all filled.  I have prepped easy to eat on the go foods (first part of this week: rice crackers and summer sausage, baby carrots and popcorn for lunch and snacks, yogurt with granola for breakfasts) and I have soup that I pulled from the freezer for when I get home late tonight and tomorrow night.  I have stocked my purse with Thermacare in case I need it, I have backups on on my Naproxyn and Flexeril "packed" and my clothes are planned out for the week.  The other half will fend for himself till the weekend and will help me take care of the dogs. The DVR is set for all the returning shows this week and next. I already have my grocery list going for after work on Saturday and have started planning what I will make on Sunday for meals for the next week. While I am at work on Sunday, I can count on Jim to wash and dry the laundry so I don't have to worry about that and I can fold on Sunday before bed since it's a mindless task that I enjoy.  I think I am as ready as I can be, all things considered.

    All of this will allow me to go to work, do the best I can, come home, snuggle pups and go to bed so I can get up and do it all again tomorrow.  Next week after we make it through the first two days of school I will start planning my recovery period over MKL weekend.  That will keep the light bright at the end of the tunnel.

Josh Shipp says "Perseverance is stubbornness with a purpose" and that is exactly how I am looking at this rush.  

1 comment:

L."Wren" Vandever said...

You're amazing. Truly. But please, please listen to your body during all this upcoming craziness, and take rest days when you need them.

Sending hugs and attagirls your way!