Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Waging a battle

Hey Gang- I apologize for the lack of posts. I have been fighting a behind the scenes battle that is making me crazy! Over the past 5+ years that I have been writing this blog, there have been an average of 1-2 attempted spam comments a week. I have a filter set and they are *usually* caught before they clutter up the page where you all read and interact. I get an email for every comment that comes in and in those cases, I generally pop on in the evening and delete the spam with no one being any the wiser. Google/Blogger does a pretty good job of catching them with their filter. For that, I am grateful to Blogger/Google. The only *glitch* is that if I try to mark them spam from my mobile (both my iPhone and iPad) somehow they end up showing up on the page at least for a few minutes. What is really frustrating is that at times YOUR comments end up in the spam folder and in my rush to get rid of the actual spam, I have inadvertently deleted some of your comments too.

I hate spam. I HATE spam. I HATE SPAM! I hope that makes it clear to the spammers how I feel about their stupid posts.


I don't know what has happened of late, but for the past few weeks, the spam comments have kicked up a notch. I can almost time it. Just about the time I get to work in the morning, 20-30 spam comments hit my email inbox. Throughout the work day it slows down but several more come in. Those all have to sit and wait until I get home to take care of them- but the same thing that happens occasionally to my comment box happens to my email- I have inadvertently deleted important emails that have gotten caught between the barrage of emails notifying me of new comments and have been deleted. In the evening- usually after I go to bed, the same thing happens again. I get pinged for 20-30 new email for comments- all of them spam.

This whole thing is making me increasingly unproductive and more importantly, angry. Angry is not the emotion that I need to feel when I am working toward a positive and gratitude filled life.

I don't know what I can do about this. I don't want to turn off my emails for comment notifications because I don't want to miss your comments! I am to the point that I am considering moving my blog over to a new platform to try and get away from this. On the other hand, I feel loyal to Blogger because they have been very good to me over the years and they do try to ensure that the spam doesn't get through. Needless to say- the word of the day is "Frustration."

How about you, my fellow bloggers? Are you seeing a surge of spam as well? If you are on a different platform- which do you use and what do you like/dislike about it? If you are with Blogger- do you have any tips?

Thanks for baring with me while I work through this!

J

2 comments:

adrienne said...

I have blogger set up with "moderate comments" and that seems to curb spam. I am not sure if you have that setting checked or not. It is in Settings -- Postings and Comments section. Hope that helps.

Jules0705 said...

Thanks Adrienne! It looks like it is coming to that point. I don't know why it infuriates me so, but it really does make me crazy. I don't understand if these spammers think we want to see their crap- or if they just don't care. I just find it incredibly rude.