Saturday, March 24, 2012

I have been given a minor miracle!

I know- that sounds moderately dramatic but I am ready to shout from the rooftops.  I saw my new Primary Care on Tuesday.  We had a little "get to know you" appointment and I mentioned the months and months (and months) of insomnia.  Well, she looked at my list of meds and decided that we would try Lunesta.  She gave me a week's supply and said that if that didn't work, we could try Ambien and if THAT didn't work- I would have to take my happy self to a sleep clinic for a study.

Tuesday night, I took my little blue pill around 7:30.  Hubby and I watched a little television and about 30 minutes later I got up to grab a glass of water.  You would have thought I was flat out drunk I was walking so wobbly.  I decided that meant it was time for bed.  Got up the stairs, opened my book and that is the last thing I remember.  Evidently I was awake for a little while longer.  My bookmark was pages away from where it had been the night before, and Harley was on my bed (with 12" bed risers, she can't get up solo) when Hubby came up to bed- but I was KNOCKED out.  I woke up 7 hours later feeling completely rested and relaxed.  I swear I could hear the Hallelujah Chorus singing behind me.  That said- I didn't want to get too excited because though I felt better than I have in as long as I can remember- When I tried Tylenol PM and Advil PM, they gave me one good night's sleep and then nothing.  They also didn't allow me to truly relax because I could feel a difference in my hands and feet when I tried the OTC compared to this.

Wednesday came and I gave it a shot again.  I took it in my bedroom and lay down with my book.  7 hours later- I hopped out of bed raring to go.

Thursday, I was a little concerned.  Thought I went right to sleep I was up at 2 am.  HOWEVER- I was up for about 90 minutes and then was able to go back up and go to sleep until 6 and I didn't wake up all groggy.  Though I mentally knew I had been up in the middle of the night- I didn't feel like it.  AND- it's not the "fault" of the drug that I woke.  Hubby fell asleep in his recliner (he's SO becoming our fathers!) and at around 2, the dogs were "fighting" over his pillows.  When I thought about it during the day Friday, I was actually feeling better about it because I am sensitive to antihistimines and when they knock me out you cannot wake me up at all.  So now I know that the Lunesta will not do that to me.

Last night, I woke up again.  I got out of the bed, went downstairs, watched an hour of TV (I don't even remember what I watched-lol) and then went right back to bed until my alarm went off.

Considering that last week I was waking up between midnight and 2am and was up for the day- I cannot tell you how much better this feels.  I was sitting at dinner with my husband last night and I realized that though I have been working like a mad woman all week to prep for my annual inventory and my upcoming trip to Florida (business meeting- not pleasure) I have not once gotten home and felt like the only thing I could do is crawl on my couch and pass out for a few hours.

Needless to say, I contacted my doctor's office and my RX will be ready to pick up this afternoon.  I have been feeling, when I am sitting up in the middle of the night that I am SO sick and tired of being sick and tired.  This past week has given me hope that sleep will once again be mine.

Have a wonderful weekend!    


Julie said...

Now THAT is the best thing I've heard this week!!! So happy for you.

abcsofra said...

Sleep is sooooo important! I am so glad you are finding a way to regain the needed time for your body to repair itself. Hoping it lasts for you too :-) Sleep tight :-)

Medical Billing Software said...

That is true...when a little improvement comes in the way it does boost up the mental state a lot and moreover it does matter whether the good night's sleep is sufficient.